Subject: Re: kern/20039 - ppp and mbuf leak
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2003 08:18:23
Hello,

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > This looks like what i want. Maybe the reference to ipnat(5) should be included
> > in the mentioned paragraph of pppoe(4). Otherwise the usual reader stops
> > reading, not thinking about hunting in other docs, as the documentation states
> > something like "no, not possible".
>
> How explicit can you get, given that it's explained right in the next paragraph
> of that man page? Anyway, I changed it to read:

Not that explicit... I'm using NetBSD-1.6 here. Look at this manpage. I just
compared to the current manpage on www.netbsd.org, where there really is a
large extra paragraph "Setting up NAT with MSS-clamping", which is nonexistent
in the 1.6-manpage.

>      Unfortunately this sysctl does not fix the MSS advertised by hosts in the
>      network behind a pppoe connected router. To fix this you need MSS-
>      clamping, explained below.

I think with the newer manpage with this extra paragraph, this is not really
necessary. I just tend to use the installed manpages, and due to some mails
about instabilities of 1.6.1 i saw here a while ago, i'm still using 1.6, where
this paragraph, which really can't be overseen, is just not present.

Maybe my fault. Or just forget my states about "this should be included", as it
seems to be included somewhen after 1.6.

BTW: after using some "keep frags" in ipf.conf, this really works fine. As
usual, great work! :)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX