Subject: Re: buying more NetBSD hardware
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2003 15:36:06
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:37:20AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > > platforms that might be worth checking out?
> >
> > How about NetBSD/x86_64? :-)
> >
> > Do you want to consider workstation, server, or just general coverage?
> > For workstation I would say add a Mac, for server a sparc64.
>
> because of what (i mean sparc64)?

My thoughts:
	o  Current / actively sold CPU architecture.
	o  64-bit, which is what all the x86 guys are trying for.
	o  Reasonably stable, at least on my Ultra 10.
	o  Built for I/O, performance, etc. not to be another cheap PC.
	o  Older product regularly available on eBay and other places.
And:
	o  Has 64bit big endian architecture and exemplifies the "challenges"
	   of writing clean portable code.
	o  Sun systems have a "real machine" image in the market.

> is it's support in NetBSD really stable?

Depending on your definition of really.  With -current I have have good luck
with my Ultra 10 after Chuck fixed a couple of bugs introduced in his
earlier rototill.

> is it fast in given price (the answer is no AFAIK)?

Nothing beats the x86 at pure price / performance, when performance is
measured in cpu speed and sequential disk transfers.

If people all used the same yardstick we wouldn't care about anything
other than the cheap fast PC. :)

I think the sparc64 boxes can be reasonable when you're thinking about
a headless server with many disks and concurrent i/o operations.

Still probably not cheaper than x86 with a 3ware or something, but since
you can buy older gear online and the original post was about diversity
in architectures I think it is reasonable.

> stablility (that's probably true, but i don't have comparision)

Admittedly the sparc64 port is less robust than i386, but the hardware
is (hopefully) designed to be more reliable, IMHO.

-Andrew