Subject: Re: buying more NetBSD hardware
To: Michael W . Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2003 14:36:48
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 08:17:44AM -0400, Michael W . Lucas wrote:
> Yep.  I write articles (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13) on BSD.
> Nifty platforms provide me with things to write about, and are
> tax-deductible.  :-)

(I've been notified my previous answer sounded like I tried to scare users
away from sparc64 - that's not been the intend, but I'm not a marketing
person, so I say "dog slow" instead of "adeqately fast" and "expensive"
instead of "price position targetted", please excuse this behaviour)

I actually like the Ultra2 systems - you can swap disks without disconecting
any cables or even opening the main case. And they have four sbus slots
free. I'm using one with a nell pcmcia adapter as wavelan base station.

And then there is one of my pet machines (http://www.aprisoft.de/krups),
the JavaStation. It's not extendable, and it's only 100 MHz sparc, so it is
not able to do integer arithmetik fast enough to use for example madplay
to decode mp3 files (mpg123, which uses floating point, works fine though).
They apear regulary on eBay.

Martin