Subject: Re: backups
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/15/2003 23:12:06
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 05:13:04PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> I would be interested in hearing about people's experiences with
> "third-party" pkgsrc backup utilities.  at the time I looked into
> amanda, I didn't have the requesite spool space, but now I do, and thus
> it may be worth looking into...

spool space for amanda is recommended, but not mandatory.
I use amanda on two different networks, both with a 14 slot library DLT7000 ,
for about 200GB of disks each. Works really nice.
With some wrapper scripts, I get dumps of some days of the week go to the
holding disk instead of tape, and all gets flushed at the next run on tape.
All my tapes in rotation are in the library, so the backup system runs
by itself without user intervention.

The only problem with amanda is that it can't backup a filesystem larger
than a tape (after compression).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>