Subject: Re: backups
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2003 17:13:04
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:06:12PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> What are you using for backups? I'm curious as to the low cost of HD,
> CDROM, DVDR, etc, if people are still using tapes / DLTs for backups?
>
> What solution do you use?

I use exabyte 8505 8mm with some hand-cooked not-very-complicated
dump-over-ssh scripts.  level 0 is somewhat of a pain and requires tape
shuffling, but for the dailys all seven machines still fit on a single
8mm 7GB tape.

I would be interested in hearing about people's experiences with
"third-party" pkgsrc backup utilities.  at the time I looked into
amanda, I didn't have the requesite spool space, but now I do, and thus
it may be worth looking into...

      "It's not fast, but why not?"  --  John Klos on VAX dnet client
  "because it needlessly contributes to global warming?"  --  Paul Vixie