Subject: Re: Disklabel Offset Confusion
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2003 08:24:31
> I've successfully used 0 too, but I've seen it fail too: some BIOSes just
> refuse to accept the MBR if it does not reserve the first track, which means
> on such a machine you won't be able to boot from hard disk if you use offset 0.

On i386 I'm not surprised, the BIOS does understand the MBR layout (at least
on some systems) so expects sector zero of hard disks to contain one...

> If your BIOS does not do this or you don't want to boot from (this) hard disk
> using 0 should be OK.

Not worth it, you are starting to dig a hole...
If nothing else the filesystem is likely to be inaccessibly to anything
else booted on that system.

Of course floppy disks (unless they are ls120s) do not contian an mbr.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk