Subject: Re: Disklabel Offset Confusion
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2003 07:52:34
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 07:59:32PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> I've always used 0 as the offset of my first partition. However, I've
> also see people use the above rule of setting the first offset to the
> sectors/track. Anyone know why?

I've successfully used 0 too, but I've seen it fail too: some BIOSes just
refuse to accept the MBR if it does not reserve the first track, which means
on such a machine you won't be able to boot from hard disk if you use offset
0.

If your BIOS does not do this or you don't want to boot from (this) hard disk
using 0 should be OK.

Martin