Subject: Re: backups
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2003 22:05:58
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:06:12PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> What are you using for backups? I'm curious as to the low cost of HD,
> CDROM, DVDR, etc, if people are still using tapes / DLTs for backups?

I'm using a home grown script with tar, bzip2, mkisofs and cdrecord, doing
a full backup once a month on CDR - and incremental nightly ones on a NFS
server.

Of course this is not ideal, but it fits my risk model.

I don't need 10 year old data, in fact most of the stuff I backup is the
machine configuration itself and some constantly changing data (like a cvs
repository).

I would do more full backups if I'd have some CDR changer or a DVD burner,
but manually doing less than 10 CDRs once a months is OK with me.

Martin