Subject: Re: Some newbie questions and swearing
To: None <jpalan@utu.fi>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2003 21:31:31
> Now I have this bastard arrangement that I have to switch to another
> virtual console and login as root, which I can't do now when I'm in
> X because if I switch to second console and then back to first, X
> won return back to graphics mode and I have to close it with ctrl-c.

Well...

I'm sure you know that when you initially log in, you're on virtual
console 0 (ttyE0), and when you start X, the X server allocates the
first available virtual console, typically virtual console 4 and
switches to it.  Normally you should be able to switch back to the X
server, though I've heard that some particular X servers have issues
with switching properly in and out of graphics mode.  Thus, at least,
to try to switch back to the X server you need to try switching to
(typically, default config, ref. /etc/ttys) virtual console 4 by using
CTL-ALT-F5.

Regards,

- H=E5vard