Subject: Re: RAIDFrame in Production Use
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2003 14:02:48
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:23:45PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> If you have experience in using RAIDFrame in production, I'd like to
> know what your thoughts are.

It works well enough (for us, at least).

> I hear it is CPU intensive, how intensive is it?

I don't think it eats all that much CPU time.  At least on decent machines
(my server is a 700 MHz Athlon).

> What do you use for hot swappables with NetBSD? Any power down
> necessary?

Nothing, I have to take the system apart to swap disks.

> Which RAID do you use and for what application?

RAID1, file/SQL/CVS server in a small company.

> Anyone using it on a database system like PostgreSQL or MySQL? Which
> RAID? What was it's performance with RAID added?

Our MySQL usage is pretty light, haven't had any problems with RAID.

The biggest surprise was that RAID1 is slower than the disks made me
expect.  When the RAID is 100% busy, the disks are not, neither is the
CPU.  I don't understand what is slowing down the RAID stuff, but I'm
planning to try changing some parameters to see if that helps.  The
problem is the data, of course.. where to put it while reconfiguring
the RAID system.

  -jm