Subject: Re: Disklabel Offset Confusion
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2003 10:37:26
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 07:59:32PM -0700, Caffeinate The World wrote:
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html
>
> "The offset for your first new partition should be the same as the
> "sectors/track" reported earlier in disklabel's output. For us it is
> 63."
>
> I've always used 0 as the offset of my first partition. However, I've
> also see people use the above rule of setting the first offset to the
> sectors/track. Anyone know why?

On i386 the track 0 is reserved, so the first fdisk partition starts
after it - typically offset 63.

On NetBSD (that is an OpenBSD faq) the disklabel block numbers are
relative to the start of the phyical disk.

If you make your first netbsd partition start in sector 0 it will
overlay the fdisk partition info.  This will probably not get overwritten
but it could easily bight you later.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk