Subject: Re: RAIDFrame in Production Use
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2003 10:58:22
Caffeinate The World wrote:

> If you have experience in using RAIDFrame in production, I'd like to
> know what your thoughts are.

My main server at home uses RF.  I don't know what your definition of
production is, but since I work at home having a stable box there is
pretty darn useful.  I've used it on pmax, alpha and i386.

> I hear it is CPU intensive, how intensive is it?

I haven't noticed any specific CPU usage, but I've been working on the
principle that a mirroring is worth whatever price you have to pay.
Also, with a raid mirror you can get benefits with reads since you can
come off two spindles.

> What do you use for hot swappables with NetBSD? Any power down
> necessary?

I don't have any hot-swap carriers or anything fancy like that.  I just
shut the box down when a disk fails.

> Which RAID do you use and for what application?

I've used raid5 in a past life, and have been using raid1 at home for
around 3 years.  I had some IBM 45G deathstar disks, and I've been
_very_ happy that I've had RF mirrors.  At a guess I'd say it's saved me
about 8 or so times in the last three years.

> Anyone using it on a database system like PostgreSQL or MySQL? Which
> RAID? What was it's performance with RAID added?

Can't help there.

In summary, I doubt I'll ever use a production box again without some
form of RAID mirroring, and I've been really happy with RAIDframe in the
time that I've been using it.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/