Subject: Re: rebuilding huge packages?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2003 18:11:55
>>>pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkgdepgraph.  :)
>>
>>Thanks.  Turns out I needed to upgrade pkgdepgraph first...
>
>Well, the rebuild/reinstall is running, and I'm sure it will continue
>for a long time -- there were 221 packages that needed to be rebuilt,
>including such light-weight packages as mozilla and teTeX...  I have
>run into a few problems, one of which suggests a bug in pkgdepgraph and
>one that has me afraid of a deeper issue.

mmm....lightweight pkgs.  i usually reorder the lines in the rebuild
script to reflect the order i want the pkgs back as opposed to the
order in which the lines are emitted (which roughly coincides with the
order the pkgs occur in /var/db/pkg).

>First -- the generated rebuild.sh file tried to build /usr/pkgsrc/gmake
>and /usr/pkgsrc/gettext.  The proper path is pgsrc/devel/gmake, etc.

ew!  that's no good.  can you send me your delete list and rebuild
script (and any other data you might have recorded from pkgdepgraph)
before you started deleting things?

>Second, there are some packages being rebuilt by the ordinary
>dependency system.  Is that supposed to happen?  I was expecting to see
>a complete list.  (Aside: it would be very nice if there were a way to
>do a complete fetch of everything first -- I have a decent link from
>home (cable modem), but my office has much better bandwidth.)

mmm...fetch.  that's a very good idea.  i think i'll add that.  :)

fwiw, the rebuild script only lists the "leaves" of the graph and
depends on pkgsrc to automagically rebuild (and install) everything it
needs as it progresses.

>The scary incident was that xterm stopped working -- it couldn't find
>libXpm.so.4.  I wasn't too worried at first, since I saw it in the
>rebuild list, though I did wonder why something in the base system was
>dependent on something in pkgsrc.  But when I tried to rebuild it
>explicitly, I was told that it was part of my base system.  Presumably,
>it was needed once upon a time, but no longer when I installed some
>later version of X.  But when I deleted the package, it deleted that
>vital symlink.  This isn't good...  Now, I don't know if that happened
>because I did some manual installation instead of going through
>sysinst, but something very similar is going to happen to people when 2.0
>comes out -- packages built against pth are going to need to be
>rebuilt.  The system installation process really needs to warn about
>packages that have been incorporated into the base system.  (Oh yes --
>I'm back on the air because I recreated the symlink manually.)

well...at least doing a rebuild of pkgs vs pth will be easy with
pkgdepgraph:

	$ pkgdepgraph -O pth -D > delete
	$ pkgdepgraph -O pth -R > rebuild

:)

i can't address the xterm issue...that never hit me.  then again, i'm
running a really old and convoluted x setup that i wouldn't recommend
to anyone.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."