Subject: Re: NIC trouble
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2003 07:00:09
Hi !

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > The BIOS option "PnP aware OS" has to be turned off, as NetBSD
> > currently relies on the BIOS initializing the whole PCI stuff, as it
> > seems.
>
> isn't this what pcibios(4) is for?

from pcibios(4):

     Ideally, the boot firmware of a machine (a.k.a. BIOS) should set up all
     PCI devices; assigning them I/O and memory addresses and interrupts.
     Alas, this does not always happen, so there is some PC specific code that
     can do the initialization when NetBSD boots.

Okay. Never tried. But anyway, this is quite useless, as commented out in
GENERIC and INSTALL kernels, so just think of someony trying to install on a
SCSI adapter not being set up by the BIOS...

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX