Subject: rebuilding huge packages?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2003 14:39:43
I want to install emacs21.  But when I try, either from source or
the precompiled binary, it tells me that I need libungif>=4.1.0.1.
When I attempted to pkg_delete it, I was told that the following packages
relied on it:

        magicpoint-1.09anb1
        gtk-engines-0.12nb1
        xscreensaver-gnome-4.06nb1
        control-center-1.4.0.4
        galeon-1.2.7nb1
        gabber-0.8.7nb4
        gnumeric-1.0.12nb2
        gal-0.22
        gnome-vfs-1.0.3
        GConf-1.0.9nb1
        bonobo-1.0.18nb3
        oaf-0.6.10
        libglade-0.17nb2
        glibwww-0.2nb2
        gnome-media-1.2.3nb3
        gnome-users-guide-1.2nb1
        libgtop-1.0.13
        gnome---1.2.2
        gnome-print-0.36nb1
        gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.18.0
        gbib-0.1.1b
        gnome-libs-1.4.1.4nb1
        imlib-1.9.14nb2
        xplanet-0.93nb2

That's a long list, and some of those packages are *very* large.
Worse yet, experience suggests that I'll find a pile of others
that need to rebuilt.  Is there any sane way to do this?  I haven't
had that much luck with 'make update'.

Note that I'm perfectly willing to do the compilations.  But I'd like to
get an ordered list of exactly what to delete and what to compile.  Is
there any way to get that?