Subject: ST_ENABLE_EARLYWARN. something magic about it?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2003 14:56:50
Hello,

okay, after waiting 3 hours with a dump to DLT III running, i found out, the
mentiones EARLY WARNING in st(4) is, what i want to use. Didn't try for now,
but i am currently doing so. As i have seen, it is not to be enabled by mt(1).
Okay, grepping a bit through some kernel sources, i found out, the option is
named ST_ENABLE_EARLYWARN. As config(8) correctly moved this option to scsi.h,
this could lead to success to enable it.

This is my usual way to hunt for options. After this, i usually hunt for the
docs, where the parameter is documented. Google throws out some hits for
scsipi.files, not more. options(4) has lots of kernel opts documented, but not
this option (also i don't find SCSIVERBOSE and some others).

Is there something magic about this option, or has it just been forgotten to
document this? Did really nobody run into the same problem of a tape suddenly
being at its end, resulting in a write error, and an evil end of dump?

BTW, talking about dump... i just started a perl script which shall handle the
autochanger stuff of my TZ877 around dump. So automated backup on tape
libraries with dump will be possible soon. If someone is interested, drop me a
note, i will then make it available here, as soon as everything works like i
need it (please drop the note also to this list, so others see, i'm already
notified and don't need to drop another note :)

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX