Subject: Re: overwritten tape backup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2003 14:34:33

> Star is used to backup files onto the tape. I have 5 separate
> directories which I have backuped. So in my secipts I issued 5 Star
> backup command for each of the directory. They are sequentially backup
> onto the tape.
>
> So when I said the 4 and 5 blocks I meant the last 2 directories which I
> backuped.

Depends on whether the combined length of the three files on the tape is
shorter, longer, or the same as those overwritten.

	mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 3		(skip over the first three files)

If new length == old length, you're now at the beginning of file four,
and you can recover it and five with 'tar'.

If new length < old length, "mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1" again should put
you at the beginning of file four.

If new length > old length, the tape is now positioned somewhere inside
of the old file four.  That one is probably not recoverable, but
"mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1" should put you at the beginning of file five.

David S.