Subject: Re: SSH on NetBSD 1.5.2, authentication slow?
To: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/13/2003 13:58:27
After some testing -not in debug mode yet- I think I was able to isolate the issue.
Let me describe. I setup ssh'ing between my Apple Powerbook and my NetBSD box - 1.5.2.
Near as I can tell when you ssh from NetBSD-1.5.2, ssh uses protocol version 1 by default;
i.e. RSA1. The Powerbook, on the otherhand, uses protocol 2 by default (RSA/DSA).

There is probably a way to configure ssh's behavior with ssh.conf/ssh_conf to make it
default to either -1 or -2, but I'm not there yet.

Anyway, here's what I found:

	ssh -1 <from Powerbook to NetBSD> takes   0.02u 0.010s 0:01.08
	ssh -2 <from Powerbook to NetBSD> takes   0.14u 0.020s 0:11.77

	ssh -1 <from NetBSD to Powerbook> takes   0.2u 0.0s 0:01.08
	ssh -2 <from NetBSD to Powerbook> takes   74.2u 0.8s 1:16.64       !!!!!!!!

I'm assuming, from these numbers, that the DSA authentication takes place on the 233MHz PII
when it connects to the Powerbook - 1:16.64. Conversely, when connecting from my 800MHz
Powerbook, it's performing the DSA authentication, and takes 11 seconds (which is what
started this thread.)

Q: Does using protocol version 2 for athentication REALLY take this long?  Whew!

Q: RSA1/"ssh -1" uses key file identity.pub. "ssh -2" seems to only want id_dsa.pub. Is that
   because "ssh -2" defaults to DSA, and if id_dsa isn't around it'll try id_rsa??

Please try this on your systems and see if you get results that closely approximate mine.

Thanks!!

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com