Subject: Re: default permissions on /root
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/2003 05:25:25
On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 08:39:55PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> You're preacing what I consider security by obscurity.  Instead of
> actually expecting root to know what he's doing, and really keep track
> of his system, you start to just try to bolt everything down, and think
> that means you got more security.

An opposing perspective on this is that privacy can help you maintain a
secure system by providing minimal information (which might be used in
ways you don't anticipate) to an observer/attacker.

But this can be dragged out and ripped apart for ages.

Original poster, as someone else has suggested please see the archives; we
just finished having a big discussion on this.