Subject: Re: OpenBSD vs. MicroBSD...
To: Andrew Basterfield <bob@cemetery.homeunix.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2003 09:32:26
On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Andrew Basterfield wrote:

> I think if you want to fork a project you need to take it in a different
> direction from the original. Their direction was also security, and if
> they were to become a success they needed to do it better than OpenBSD,

Their direction was implementing code that OpenBSD wouldn't consider and
offering a small, leaner base installation.

See http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/2002/09/Features39.html

I wrote: "It is interesting to note that the most of this operating system
is search-and-replace of another operating system. Generally this okay,
due to the public domain, BSD and similar licensing. It would be nice if
the ident/RCS tags reflected the real source of the revisions, though."

I should have looked closer and noted that the actual copyrights were
changed too! Not good.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/