Subject: Audio problems...
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/2003 18:19:17
Hello all,

	I recently mentioned on current-users about a few problems I've
encountered when running a handful of apps (ie. xgalaga, amp, etc.) when
using the emuxki driver on -current.  After a little bit of poking around,
I discovered that these applications are checking to see if /dev/audio
can be open read-write when, in fact, they don't ever need to record from
/dev/audio.

	Now, even though it's possible to patch the source for the
packages, I instead decided to swap out the SB Live! for a Yamaha based
sound card using the yds driver since, ideally, I would like a card that
can be used for recording under NetBSD.

	Unfortunately, the yds driver seems to have problems of it's own,
causing xgalaga to crash completely and the sound server for it to core
dump.

	So these are my questions :-)

1) Does anyone know if recording is being worked on for the emuxki driver?

2) Are there any soundcards that NetBSD suppots hardware mixing on?

3) Can anyone recommend a good sound card for both playback and recording?

Adam