Subject: Re: FTPD: disallowing concurrent connections from same IP
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/19/2003 18:32:05
Well, since there is no way for FTPD to force one IP per FTP 'session' I
decided to opt for the "tragedy of the commons" method and impliment ALTQ.

To be honest, I would prefer to have FTPD limit the number of concurrent
session.

Once I removed the limit on the # of simultaneous sessions, that means more
memory and process time taken up.

If I could limit to one IP per session, I could set the bit rate, the
maximum number of sessions, and know that n number of unique user could get
on and not be elbowed off by over subscribers.  I could set data rates per
session to n bits/sec and be done with it.

I know that one IP doesn't always represent one user/machine.  However, in
public FTP server like mine, it's the statistical probability is
unfathomable!
Beside, they aren't paying for this site...it's not their right to
connect.<grin>

I know that you can be sneaky and have 2 IPs or two internet connections and
get around it -- this is less than typical.

I think it's down to the challenge.  Can it be done?  Well yeah!
The flat fact is I don't have time to implement the feature, and I wouldn't
call this a high priority feature enhancement, it just nice thinking that if
you needed it, you could do it.

jam