Subject: Re: /root permissions
To: <>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2003 17:50:44
Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>them that does not normally get touched on a rebuild.
>>	3. Generally, we only root into a machine to fix something that is
>>broke. Everything else is kept in the non-priv account.
>

> lots of my root-used scripts are in /root/bin and i DO NOT want them to be
> readable by anyone.

First, since we agree that this is an opinion based issue, we're both
right!  :)

However, what types of things are you scripting? I try to either make
everything a non-priv thing, or a readable script that you have to be
root to run as anyway. That way if someone reads it they can laugh at my
code and I can challenge them to do better.

I *assume* you do not put passwords and such in your scripts. FWIW, my
habits are enforced--I work mostly on Solaris boxes that don't even have
a root user home, except "/".

ciao!

leam