Subject: Re: I want to Micgrate from OpenBSD 3.0 to NetBSD 1.6
To: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2003 17:08:10
On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:12:04PM -0700, Diana Eichert wrote:
  | PF and IPF are very different in their syntax.  For a very good reference
  | for IPF checkout http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/.
  |
  | Besides they various unique layouts of rc* between Net/Open/FreeBSD the
  | sysadmin function is pretty portable between all three.

FreeBSD 5.0 now has the NetBSD rc.d system; although some of the
scripts might have different names (due to divergence in the systems
and services), the general operation should be very similar.
FreeBSD has also has the NetBSD /etc/nsswitch.conf.   (These are just
some of the examples of ``cross pollination'' of software back and
forth between NetBSD & FreeBSD, which is a good thing).

OpenBSD has neither of these user/sysadmin-friendly enhancements, which
(as far as I can tell) is due to that project's leader objecting to both
concepts.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Luke.