Subject: Re: Help to install NetBSD
To: James Buchanan <jamesbuch@iprimus.com.au>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2003 13:52:11
Hello,

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, James Buchanan wrote:
> programme in the installer fills in those values automatically?  So
> then all I need to do is calculate by 512 bytes per sector to get
> sizes of the partitions that I want (unless it offers me the ability
> to append an M or G to a numeric value, and it assigns disk geometry
> info for me.)

There is some kind of "humanized input" in the installer for the disk label
data. I remeber to have entered the data in MB.

> I am downloading the 386 packages ISO cd image now, the first CD, that
> should be good enough for now until I get used to using the system.  I
> found a package list on the ftp site you gave me which is very
> helpful!  (I didn't know it existed.)  Now I can see what pre-compiled
> packages are on what CDs.  That compilation of KDE sounds like a
> nightmare, I think I will give it a miss :-)

It's easy going, just a matter of time. pkgsrc is really wonderful, never had
problems building packages this way. And i compile every package myself, as i
have some ways to modify some behaviour (like LDAP support in pine and so).

But at least in the beginning, you will have an easier life using the
precompiled packages. The base system, btw., includes X and gcc and all you
need. But if you want mote than twm, and maybe even a bash, you have to install
some packages. "Base system" is really meant as base system, you can go down to
some megs without X, compilers and manpages, if you want to. The full
installation of the CD is just a "complete base system" including everything
you need to feel a bit comfortable when building bash and WindowMaker or so.

> to have trouble with is getting my USB ADSL modem to work, and making
> it work with PPPoE, and even then, I don't know how to do that, or
> what number to dial to my provider (Windows says it's a DSL-WAN,
> number 35,7 or whatever.  Blah.)

If your USB DSL modem emulates some network device, there will be absolutely no
problem with PPPoE. Network configuration is done by ifconfig for temporary
purposes, and can be done either in /etc/rc.conf or /etc/ifconfig.* for
permanent entries.

You can also use DHCP or whatever you want for network config.

Things you need in /etc/rc.conf are for example:

wscons=YES
hostname="calchas.unixiron.org"
defaultroute="192.168.177.1"
domainname="unixiron.org"

and in /etc/ifconfig.fxp0, if you use some intel-compatible ethernet:

inet 192.168.177.2 netmask 0xffffff00

in /etc/rc.conf, this can be enteres as

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.177.2 netmask 0xffffff00"

i think

There should be manuals around under

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/

...Michael

--
http://www.unixiron.org/    Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX