Subject: Re: 1.6.1 stability problems?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2003 18:47:55
In message <20030208003932.5eb24ce1.christianbiere@gmx.de>, Christian Biere wri
tes:

>--=.6PvDppaeIfCj5h
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone else having stability problems with 1.6.1?  My system is now
>> crashing much more often.  Many of the crashes seem to be associated
>> with either suspend/resume or pcmcia insertion/removal events.
>
>could you provide a backtrace of a crash? Otherwise, I'm afraid, this
>thread will go nowhere because there are far too many factors involved.
>Just because 1.6.1 for everyone else, it doesn't mean there isn't a bug
>and suspend/resume isn't really something of interest for servers
>supposed to have huge uptimes, I guess.

I wish I could, but I don't know how to get one.  The machine locks up
hard, and the only way I know to reset it -- this is a laptop -- is to
lean on the power button for several seconds.  ctl+alt+esc doesn't work
at that point, as best I can tell, though since I'm in X I'm not 100%
certain.  I'm trying to figure out how to make the watchdog timer work
(assuming, that is, that wdogctl is really part of 1.6.1 and not a
result of me screwing up my source tree again...)  But I haven't even
figured out what device to configure into my kernel -- /dev/sysmon
isn't configured, I'm told, when I do 'envstat -l'.  Nor do I know how
to do a user-mode "tickle" of the timer.)