Subject: Re: Replacing the NetBSD password system
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/03/2003 00:04:38

> I am looking to set up an X-server login to use an LDAP user database
> instead of the "/etc/master.password" system. One option I see for this is
> to replace the xdm login prompt with a login prompt (program) that uses the
> the LDAP server. I am looking for some hints or references on how to do
> this, or an alternative method to implement this.

If you want to hack xdm to use hashed passwords from an LDAP server,
that shouldn't be too difficult.  The relevant part is mostly in
xdm/greeter/verify.c, and it's pretty easy to understand.  I modified
it a few X revisions ago to do Kerberos V authentication there.

However, the more general and "correct" solution is to teach the
various getpw* calls to read an LDAP database, and that's rather more
work.  There was a discussion about this point here a week or two ago;
check the list archives.

David S.