Subject: Re: RAID tuning
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2002 14:07:55
Quoting Jukka Marin (jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi):
> What does the following mean (output from systat):
>
> Discs  wd4  wd5  cd0  wd0  wd1  fd0  md0 raid          64 fmin
> seeks                                                  85 ftarg
> xfers                 138  137            128             itarg
> Kbyte                1256 1249           1256         523 wired
> %busy                 3.2  2.4           94.4             pdfre

> Why is raid 94.4% busy when the components (wd0, wd1) are only 3%
> busy?  CPU is about 90% idle.

echo 3.2  2.4  94.4  + + p | dc
gives me 100%.

Coincidence?  Doubtful.  Perhaps its that most of the
work happens through the RAID 'device'?
and there was a little direct activity on boot?

That said, stripe width will depend on how/what you use it for.
Otherwise, I tend to use hardware raid, so can't offer more.