Subject: Re: RAID tuning
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2002 15:20:02
Jukka Marin writes:
> What does the following mean (output from systat):
>
> Discs  wd4  wd5  cd0  wd0  wd1  fd0  md0 raid          64 fmin
> seeks                                                  85 ftarg
> xfers                 138  137            128             itarg
> Kbyte                1256 1249           1256         523 wired
> %busy                 3.2  2.4           94.4             pdfre
>
> Why is raid 94.4% busy when the components (wd0, wd1) are only 3%
> busy?  CPU is about 90% idle.

Not sure.

[snip]
> START queue
> fifo 100
> #scan 400
>
> Someone said I should be using "scan" instead of "fifo" with IDE disks.
> Why is that?

I'd ask the "someone" ;)

> Can I change this parameter without initializing the raid
> set (ie. losing all my data)?

Yes.  Note that the queue type (and size) is not stored in the component
labels, so if you're using autoconfig, then it will automatically use fifo,
and you won't be able to change it. (yes, that's a bug, and yes, it's on my
TODO list, and no, there hasn't been a lot (read: any) demand to fix that
bug yet :-} )

Later...

Greg Oster