Subject: Re: Recommendation on laptops, notebooks or portables for NetBSD.
To: None <jdf@rse.com>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/17/2002 11:22:12
In message <XFMail.20021217115913.jdf@rse.com>, John Fisher writes:
>I am looking to buy a new laptop or a notebook.  And was hoping that I could
>get some recommendations on some good ones that NetBSD supports most or all of
>the hardware on.  I have been doing as much research as I can, going through
>the NetBSD mailing list, searching the net, and so on.  But I am finding most
>people are using older hardware that they are going to stop selling, or are no
>selling any more.  And I would like to know if there is anyone that just bough
>a brand spanking new laptop, notebook or portable and is running NetBSD on it.
>How do you like it.  What's the make and model, and the things you got on it?
>Is everything working?  What isn't working?

Two answers:

1.  HP Pavilion n5490.  P3 1Ghz.  Worked pretty well, but no APM support,
and I never tried to debug ACPI power management.  Well, not "no" APM support;
you could check how much battery you had.  Sleep/suspend/etc didn't work.
I have one of these for sale if anyone wants it (asking around $1200 with
two extra port replicators and power supplies).  1400x1050 display, works fine
in X, supported audio, CD burner/DVD player.  10/100 ethernet works.  Modem
doesn't.

2.  ThinkPad A31p.  This is why I'm selling the Pavilion.  APM works (but you
have to be on a text console or the display won't come back).  Video works,
audio works.  Hardware "mute" button, which is occasionally useful.  CD
burner/DVD drive, serial, USB, bluetooth, firewire, built-in wireless.  10/100
ethernet works, modem doesn't.

The ThinkPad is awesome.  I liked the HP, but the ThinkPad is better.  (It
should be; it cost nearly twice as much!)

-s