Subject: pkg weirdness?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/2002 13:35:16
I'm trying to update fetchmail.  What could cause the following (the
first few lines are from a 'make update' from current CVS source for
fetchmail):

===> Registering installation for fetchmail-6.2.0
===> Cleaning for fetchmail-6.2.0
# pkg_info fetchmail
pkg_info: can't find package `fetchmail' installed or in a file!

I can't 'pkg_delete' fetchmail, nor does 'pkg_info -a' show it.  But if
I do a 'make install', I get this:

===> Installing for fetchmail-6.2.0
===>  fetchmail-6.2.0 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may wish to ``pkg_delete fetchmail-6.2.0'' and install
*** this package again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly,
*** or use ``make update'' to upgrade it and all of its dependencies.
*** If you really wish to overwrite the old package of fetchmail-6.2.0
*** without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
*** in your environment or the "make install" command line.

Clearly, some database is confused.  How can I rebuild it?  (Yes, I'm
running as root, on a -current system from about two weeks ago.)