Subject: Re: Help enabling PCI ethernet card, tlp0
To: Philip Brodd <pheelb@yahoo.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2002 12:46:06
In message <20021213232451.83306.qmail@web11705.mail.yahoo.com>, you write:

-> --- Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
[...]
-> > Maybe you can try to force the media ?
-> > ifconfig tlp0 media 10baseT
->
-> This worked.  The status of the interface changes to active, and I can
-> pull an address from the dhcp server.  However, when I try to force
-> 100BaseTX, it also reports that the interface is active, but it's
-> unable to connect to the AirPort.  Any ideas why one should work,
-> but not the other?

Probably because the Airport supports only 10BaseT and not 100BaseT, and
when you force one end of the interface (your Tulip card in this case),
the other end of the link needs to be in the same "forced" state for the
two ends to be able to communicate because forcing media generally dis-
ables autonegotiation.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill