Subject: apache troubles
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <vodka@intoxicate.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2002 19:22:34
Hey folks,

This is probably more appropriate for the pkgsrc mailinglist, but I
figured since I don't want to compile Apache from pkgsrc, I should post it
here.

I've been having the same problem, ever since I started using NetBSD
(which was around 1.4), over and over.  For some reason I cant compile
Apache from source, I always get something like:

/usr/pkgsrc/www/apache2/work/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr-util/.libs/libaprutil-0.so:
undefined reference to `db_create'
/usr/pkgsrc/www/apache2/work/httpd-2.0.43/srclib/apr-util/.libs/libaprutil-0.so:
undefined reference to `db_strerror'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

This has happened everytime I compiled Apache (even back in the 1.3.x
days), and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I know there are
people out there who have it working.  What do I need to do to get it to
work?  Do I need to update anything?  Maybe libtool or something?  I'm
running NetBSD 1.6.

So why don't I make use of the great pkgsrc system, you're probably
asking.  Well, I would use pkgsrc, if it wouldn't install apache in weird
places.  It seems like apache2 in pkgsrc gets fragmented all over the
system.  The htdocs files are somewhere in
/usr/local/share/httpd/blah/blah and the config files are somewhere else
and the actual apachectl is somewhere else.  I really don't understand the
advantages of that!  I like to have everything in /www.  OpenBSD used to
do it that way (maybe they still do); everything would be nice and neat
under /var/www.  But I'm not complaining.  I've tried doing "make patch,"
then going under the work directory, and editing config.layout the way I
want it.  That doesn't do much good either; this time I get many errors
when doing make install, and it never successfully completes the
installation.

Is there a way I can just compile it from source? :(

I took the patches in pkgsrc, and tried to apply them to the httpd-2.0.43
source, but most of them failed...and so did the build process.

Any help is *MUCH* appreciated (and I really mean that :)

Thanks