Subject: Re: NMBCLUSTERS being reused?
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: J. Scott Edwards <sedwards@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/09/2002 08:33:20
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 06:18:27 -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 12:24:18AM -0700, J. Scott Edwards wrote:
>
>> But the curious thing is.  Now I can scp a 50 MB file and don't run
>> out of buffers.  BUT then the next time I try to send a large file
>> (say 30MB), it gets partway through and runs out of buffers.  Could
>> there be a nmbcluster leak?
>
> Yah, it clearly sounds like there's an mbuf leak ... my first guess
> would be in the "url" driver (that's the driver for the USB Realtek
> Ethernet, right?).
>
> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>

I looked at the if_url.c code a little and I couldn't see where the mbufs
were returned to the pool after they were transmitted.  But then since I
have no clue what the whole context is for that driver, they could be
returned somewhere else that I don't know about.

Just for grins I added a conditional m_free in the driver, but it didn't
seem to make any difference.

If anybody can tell me or point me to some information on how that all
fits together, I could poke around in it some more.  Or is there some way
to run the driver in the debugger?

Thanks
  -Scott