Subject: Re: terminals under X 4.2.0 - problems with variables and setup
To: None <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/05/2002 15:03:43
[ On Thursday, December 5, 2002 at 08:23:01 (+0100), Lubos Vrbka wrote: ]
> Subject: terminals under X 4.2.0 - problems with variables and setup
>
> i use /bin/ksh. i want the settings in my .profile to take effect in
> every single xterm window (especially set -o vi line). it just worked in
> the older version (it was something like XFree86 4.0.1 i guess) but
> doesn't work any more - the settings work fine in the text console but
> NOT in X - terminals.

How do you start your xterm processes?

If you start them with '-ls' then they should start the session shell as
a login shell instead of just as an interactive shell.  As a login shell
your shell will do wathever login startup is appropriate, such as
sourcing your ~/.profile.  See xterm(1):

       -ls     This option  indicates  that  the  shell  that  is
               started  in the xterm window will be a login shell
               (i.e., the first character of argv[0]  will  be  a
               dash,  indicating to the shell that it should read
               the user's .login or .profile).

--
								Greg A. Woods