Subject: Re: Onstream SC50: will it work
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Bryan P <u3@terran.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/12/2002 13:14:47
On the dignified day of Nov 12, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00:51PM -0800, Bryan P wrote:
> > Internal 50-pin SCSI.  Apparently the OnStream folks helped produce a
> > GPL driver for Linux, which has become part of the 2.4 tree
> > (second-hand information).
>
> Hum, strange. Would it mean they don't use the standart tape SCSI command
> set ?

Apparently not.  There is a Linux support site:
http://www.linux1onstream.nl  From the site, it appears that one person has
created a userspace driver using the Linux SCSI generic driver, and that
the native driver "osst" is officially part of the kernel source.
Therefore, I would suspect that the information to make this device
NetBSD-supported is out there.

... ah, after looking at the Linux kernel configuration help, here is what
they have to say:

OnStream SC-x0 SCSI tape support
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST
  The OnStream SC-x0 SCSI tape drives can not be driven by the standard st
  driver, but instead need this special osst driver and use the  /dev/osstX
  char device nodes (major 206).  Via usb-storage and ide-scsi, you may be
  able to drive the USB-x0 and DI-x0 drives as well.  Note that there is
  also a second generation of OnStream tape drives (ADR-x0) that supports
  the standard SCSI-2 commands for tapes (QIC-157) and can be driven by the
  standard driver st.  For more information, you may have a look at the
  SCSI-HOWTO <http://www.tldp.org/docs.html#howto>  and
  <file:drivers/scsi/README.osst>  in the kernel source.  More info on the
  OnStream driver may be found on <http://linux1.onstream.nl/test/> Please
  also have a look at the standard st docu, as most of it applies to osst
  as well.

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org