Subject: Re: NVIDIA drivers
To: None <vodka@intoxicate.us>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/09/2002 21:23:14
* vodka@intoxicate.us <vodka@intoxicate.us> [1146 23:46]:
> > At 09:58 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, Tld wrote:
>

> > I think its more involved than that. NetBSD-core may have negotiate with
> >  them. The porting is usually not the problem but license. The answer
> > from  Nvidia would depend upon if they think there is business.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if they really make these drivers to increase their
> business.  I can understand why they have Linux drivers, since a good
> number of people are using Linux these days, and it's becomming to be a
> business platform.  But FreeBSD is not 'that' popular, and I was beginning
> to think the reason why they made drivers for it, is to give back to the
> community; kind of like "here is a present from us to you FreeBSD users".

I think FreeBSD have the FreeBSD driver Initiative nagging NVidia for years
to thank as much as anything.

Personally, I don't see why NVidia would have a problem with NetBSD using
the code, since they've already given it away once, effectively. In theory it would
open up more markets (I was thinking of PowerPC in particular).

This all assumes it's not too FreeBSD specific, of course (i.e. doesn't need DRI).

It also kinda assumes I know what I'm talking about, particularly on the legal side.....