Subject: Re: SCSI identification
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2002 12:01:45
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 12:22:02PM +0200, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 10:07:00AM +0200, Matthew Fincham wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for a way to extract a serial number (or some unique
> > identification string) from a SCSI device. I am currently doing this
> > with /dev/wd* devices by using an ATAIOCOMMAND ioctl, and am looking
> > for an equivalent to use with SCSI devices.
>
> have look at scsictl(8) and it's sources.

The ATA, ATAPI and SCSI responses all have (much) the same format.

But don't rely too much on the manufacturers actually putting
the serial number in the identify response.
I found that CF cards all had the same serial number
- pretty poor for removable media when you really would
like to know whether it has changed...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk