Subject: Re: named: sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2002 19:20:53
On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:58:05PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> You mentioned that sometimes you had the problem. So since it worked
> sometimes, I was thinking your root hints is fine.
>
> But since you use forwarders first, then it falls back to check for
> itself, I think your root hints is missing or corrupted.

this has happened to me a couple times with named 8.2.3 on my 1.4.x
system.  most recently was a couple days ago, in fact.

I have a theory that it gets worse when you have a really good
forwarder.  since you are seldom talking to the root nameservers, the
TTL for the root name servers expires.  then when your forwarder fails
and you _do_ need to talk to the root name servers, you don't know who
or where they are; hence the error message.

if I understand correctly, the root hints file is only consulted on
startup to prime the root zone -- once named is up and running, the file
is never again referenced.

I'm not sure of the correct solution.

    "i'm convinced that the cray cabinet has an outlet for plugging in
    welding attachments."  --  Skeezics Boondoggle, on the cray CS6400