Subject: Fujitsu ethernet mbe(4) media selection?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2002 15:01:26
my PCMCIA ethernet card is dual-media "Fujitsu 10Base T/2 Ethernet" and
it is detected by the kernel:

mbe0 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x41f: Fujitsu Towa LA501 Ethernet
mbe0: Ethernet address 00:00:0e:32:ba:38

# ifconfig mbe0
mbe0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	address: 00:00:0e:32:ba:38
	media: Ethernet manual (none)

but I run into problems trying to go from 10base2 to 10baseT:

# ifconfig mbe0 media 10baseT
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Invalid arguement

looking at mb86960.c and friends, it appears none of the fujitsu
ethernet cards (mbe, fmv, and ate) are able to do media selection, even
though the hooks are there.  :P

the card works fine in 10base2 mode, but I really would like to use
10baseT.  (I had to dust off an old bridge before I could install.)

is there documentation anywhere for doing this?  I am not beyond hacking
something together myself -- I just have no idea which bit(s) to toggle.

    "i'm convinced that the cray cabinet has an outlet for plugging in
    welding attachments."  --  Skeezics Boondoggle, on the cray CS6400