Subject: Re: Intel 82371 power management controller
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/25/2002 15:55:39
Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> writes:

> One of my machines shows the following message at boot time:
>
> Intel 82371AB Power Management Controller (PIIX4) (miscellaneous bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured
>
> I *assume* that that's the device that permits things like 'halt -p' to
> actually power down the machine.  Is there any support for it?

This isn't quite how it works. We don't support talking to that (or
other PMC's) directly, but the APM BIOS routines run interference
between it and the kernel, so we don't need direct support in order to
do things like sleep and suspend a system. The lack of an attachment
for it isn't a problem.

I would just give the APM commands a try and see if they work - they
probably do.

        - Nathan