Subject: Re: same userid/password on multiple systems
To: R Libra <postfix2002@hotmail.com>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/20/2002 10:21:46
R Libra wrote:
> Is it possible to have an application running that verify's
> userid/password centrally while logging on to a NetBSD machine.
>
> We have severall systems running and we want to have something simulair
> as Tacacs which we use on our network equipment. If Tacacs can be used
> for it even better :)

See the documentation for NIS, which used to be called "Yellow Pages".
(I guess the official name changed at the behest of the 'phone book
people).

We use it here for a system that sounds similar to what you want. All
our usernames, passwords and home directories are on one central server.
All the other servers NFS mount our home directories, and use NIS to
handle user logins. This means backups are only necessary on the central
server, and adding a user to our system is trivial. Once the account is
added to the central server, and their home directory added to the NFS
exports file, a new user can login to any server.

With a little bit of work, a frontend can be written to make the adding
of a new user really easy. We have a Tcl/Tk scipt that does just that -
adding the user, configuring NIS and configuring NFS.

Chris
--
chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk (work)
cwareham@btinternet.com (home)