Subject: Re: installing 1.6 from a CD on a two-disk system?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/19/2002 16:30:38
In message <20020919202502.GA767@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:01:45PM -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:
>> After upgrading one of my machines to 1.6, I burned a CD, per the
>> instructions at http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html#i386image
>> I tried using that CD on a system with two SCSI disks and a SCSI CD-ROM.
>> It detected sd0 and sd1, and asked if I wanted to upgrade sd0.  I
>> agreed, at which point it tried to fsck /dev/rsd1a.  I don't know why
>> it was doing anything with sd1a...  fsck asked if the disk should be
>
>Probably because you have sd1 in your fstab. In upgrade mode, sysinst
>will read the existing fstab.
>
>--

I don't think that's the whole explanation.  For one thing, the file
system was clean; for another, I couldn't proceed after the fsck.
Per a later post of mine, I had the same experience on a one-disk
system.  And it all just worked when I booted from floppies.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)