Subject: Re: OT: Sendmail on the firewall
To: Carlos A. Carnero Delgado <carnero@icrt.cu>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/18/2002 18:42:42
Quoting Carlos A. Carnero Delgado (carnero@icrt.cu):
> This is not really directly related to NetBSD (except for the fact that
> I'm testing & configuring my new NetBSD firewall.) My organization's
> SMTP server lives in the protected /internal network, and I have to
> redirect incoming SMTP traffic to the firewall to that server.
>
> What I'd like to do is to configure Sendmail on the firewall as a
> bidirectional gateway (i.e. no more rdrs.) Is this possible? Anyone has
> that setup working? Is that recommended? A sample sendmail.cf? Tips? Beer?
>
> You can reply to me directly instead of the list if you feel this is way OT.

You want mailertable.  in the .mc:  FEATURE(`mailertable')dnl

Inside the mailertable, you can have:
domain.com         smtp:inside.mail.host.domain.com

MAILHUB has other ramifications.  Use it if you want all
locally generated mail to go to the inside host, but the
mailertable is the correct answer for mail routing.

oh, and you NEVER EVER edit the .cf file.  You edit the .mc
file and GENERATE the .cf file.

The .cf file is considered a binary.  Like "/usr/bin/ls".  To
make changes, you change the source and build it (e.g.
/usr/src/usr.bin/ls.c).   Follow this and the Way is Free of Pain.
Stray to from this Path and your life will be filled with HeartAche,
Angst and Light Beer.

See also comp.mail.sendmail