Subject: problem with 1.6 install from a CD
To: None <netbsd-users@Netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/18/2002 14:17:39
(Apologies if similar content has already appeared -- I thought I sent
it, but I see no sign of it in my inbox or outbox.)

After upgrading one machine to 1.6, I burned a CD to aid in subsequent
upgrades.  I followed the instructions in the FAQ on the web site.  But
trying to use CD produced weird results.

On both machines where I tried it, a desktop and a laptop, sysinst
fsck'd something I don't think it should have (especially in the
desktop case), complained that the file systems were dirty (they
weren't), and -- no matter what I told fsck about marking it clean --
refused to proceed with the upgrade.  For the desktop, the "offending"
file system was /dev/rsd1a, where I keep /tmp; for the laptop, it was
/dev/wd0e, aka /usr.  (I can understand why it was concerned about /
usr, but why did it worry about /tmp, when I told it to do the upgrade
on sd0, not sd1?)

But the really strange thing is that when I retried the installations
from floppies, it all just worked.  (Well, I have my usual gripe that
it wipes out my symlink /home->/usr/home and replaces it with an empty
directory -- and that has me afraid to ever go to a one-partition
system, for fear of what it will do to a real /home directory -- but
that's not a big deal here.)

Anyway -- here are the contents of my bootable CD.  The boot image was
taken from boot-big.fs, exactly according to the instructions.  There
are a few extra kernels lying around binary/kernel, but that was for
local reasons, including PR kern/11925....

/mnt
/mnt/binary
/mnt/binary/kernel
/mnt/binary/kernel/BERKSHIRE.nosound
/mnt/binary/kernel/BSDSUM
/mnt/binary/kernel/CKSUM
/mnt/binary/kernel/MD5
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_DIAGNOSTIC.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_LAPTOP.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_PS2TINY.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_TINY.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_LAPTOP.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_LAPTOP.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_PS2.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_PS2.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_TINY.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.INSTALL_TINY.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.RESCUE_SMALL.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.RESCUE_SMALL.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.RESCUE_TINY.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/netbsd.RESCUE_TINY.symbols.gz
/mnt/binary/kernel/SIGABA
/mnt/binary/kernel/SYSVSUM
/mnt/binary/sets
/mnt/binary/sets/base.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/BSDSUM
/mnt/binary/sets/CKSUM
/mnt/binary/sets/comp.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/etc.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/games.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC_DIAGNOSTIC.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC_LAPTOP.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC_PS2TINY.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/kern-GENERIC_TINY.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/man.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/MD5
/mnt/binary/sets/misc.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/SYSVSUM
/mnt/binary/sets/text.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xbase.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xcomp.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xcontrib.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xfont.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xmisc.tgz
/mnt/binary/sets/xserver.tgz
/mnt/boot.catalog
/mnt/INSTALL.html
/mnt/INSTALL.more
/mnt/INSTALL.ps
/mnt/INSTALL.txt
/mnt/installation
/mnt/installation/floppy
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot1.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot2.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/bootlap1.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/bootlap2.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-com1.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-com2.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-ps2.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-small.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/boot-tiny.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/BSDSUM
/mnt/installation/floppy/CKSUM
/mnt/installation/floppy/MD5
/mnt/installation/floppy/rescue-small1.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/rescue-small2.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/rescue-tiny.fs
/mnt/installation/floppy/SYSVSUM
/mnt/installation/misc
/mnt/installation/misc/BSDSUM