Subject: changing library load order
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/18/2002 17:32:07
Is there a way to change the library load order _without_ using
LD_PRELOAD? I'm after something a little more universal than whether
the environment has a particular variable in it ... and I don't want to
modify LD_PRELOAD for each and every new library I happen to build ...

I came across this issue due to the Apache+SSL+Linux worm going around
at the moment ...

basically I've made sure that my libssl.so is up-to-date from the
pkgsrc tree to appease my local Security Officer, however he kept on
bugging me about it until we both worked out that apache is loading
/usr/lib/libssl.so (which is at 0.9.5a on my 1.5.2 system) and not my
newly up-to-date one in /usr/pkg/lib/libssl.so ...

I'm not too fussed about the worm, but it does strike me as a good
idea that I make sure ld.so (or ld.elf_so) is loading libraries in
/usr/pkg/lib in preference to the (potentially old and insecure)
libraries in /usr/lib

How do I go about this? man ld.so.conf seems to indicate that I can just
add appropriate paths to /etc/ld.so.conf, but that doesn't seem to have
done anything ...

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank