Subject: NetBSD, USB and HP - does it work?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2002 18:01:53
Hi!

Has anyone succesfully installed an HP DeskJet USB-only printer
to NetBSD using the HP's open-source hpijs driver? (I am
particularly interested in the 656C model)

http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/sysrequirements.php:
"Many platforms (Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, Yellow Dog, FreeBSD, Debian,
HPUX, AIX, etc) have been confirmed to work, please see those sites for
more information."

A note found at the officejet driver page worries me.

http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/suplist.shtml:
"FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are not yet supported in USB mode, due to
missing functionality in the kernel "ulpt" driver (bidirectional I/O,
device ID retrieval, switching to 7/1/3, and HP channel-change-request)."

Now I don't know if that statement is valid for NetBSD 1.6
and/or the _Desk_Jet printers...

Please cc: me as I don't subscribe to this list.

Thanks,
Teemu