Subject: Re: need a PS printer fast
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/07/2002 09:41:34
I use GhostScript as an if (of?) lpd filter to drive an HP laserjet.  I
have previously used a similar setup with a dot matrix printer.  I
normally have no problems.

I will confess that I only use this setup with TeX, groff, web browsers,
GIMP, a2ps, psutils fragments, etc.  I won't say that it works flawlessly:
At 300dpi, it prints PDF files directly; for reasons that aren't clear, it
makes a hash of PDF files at higher output resolutions (600 or
1200dpi)---but I can manually run GhostScript to produce PS output from
PDF files, and then print the PS files normally.  I also have never tried
to drive this printer with MS products such as MS-WORD.  Fortunately, I
can normally avoid PDF files, and never use MS-WORD.  (^&

If you need to print from specific applications which are known to
generate PostScript that GhostScript cannot handle, then this may be a
problem.  Also, it takes some experimentation to find out how best to
drive some printers, I think.  If you *need* something that you can just
plug in and use, immediately, a true PostScript printer is probably
quicker to set up.  (^&

And, for the record, I *don't* touch MagicFilter.  (^&