Subject: Re: need a PS printer fast
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/06/2002 06:33:59
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>  wrote:
 > is it REALLY have to be postscript printer? can't you buy any
 > printer which ghostscript can use and
 > define in /etc/printcap?
 >
 > HP Laserjets are generally good choice, and comes both with and without
 > postscript (and with big price difference)

You clearly have never actually _tried_ to do this.  'Ghostscript' is so
useless, it can't even convert a Word document containing the word 'testing'
in 12 point courier font.    This most recently verified using my wife's
OSX box running MS Office-OSX printing via 'lpr' using the "Generic PPD"
to a Laserjet print queue on my NetBSD box that pipes the job through
ghostscript to our Laserjet 1100.

I think the only Postscript that ghostscript can successfully parse is
"showpage".