Subject: Re: nvidia's drivers
To: User & <bibi.papa@free.fr>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/09/2002 07:41:38
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:04:34AM +0200, User & wrote:
> nvidia provides linux driver for their geforce4 graphic card.
> Did  anybody try it with netbsd ?

Well, not the answer you'd been looking for, but anyway: no, I didn't try
them. I use a GeForce 4 though, with the XFree 4.2 based driver that's used
by default in NetBSD. Works just great (for the things I use it for.)

The nvidia provided drivers would offer far superior 3D acceleration.

From what I understand these drivers would most likely not run on NetBSD (the
in-kernel console interface/the userland X-server to kernel VGA driver
interface are different) - but I may be wrong on this.

Thought I'd just let you know the card per se works pretty well with the
standard NetBSD/XFree driver. Hopefully the acceleration situation will
improve sometime.

Martin